Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Post One - The Adventure Begins: Part One - The Beginning...

Okay, so I've been keeping a log on my laptop highlighting my thoughts on trying to lose weight, as I have made an oath to myself to lose about 30 pounds come my trip to DisneyWorld this August (August 15th, to be exact). Just something to help me keep focused, plus I thought it'd be interesting to look back on it once the job is done.
I'd figured I'd start this blog with an excerpt from that one, edited for details you'd likely have no interest in, like my food-eating plans and such. But there is something fairly amusing in there, so here it is:

1/7/09
I’ve been thinking about doing this for the last few days, and after the events of the last two hours, well, one event to be exact, I thought I really should get to it.

Disney is on August 15, so doing the math today, Dan and I figured it was 219 days. That’s a lot of time, and on the other hand isn’t that much time on all.

This brings me to working out. I haven’t done it that much so far this year, only twice, and I want to get it that up to three times a week in January, moving it up to four times a week in February, and then we’ll take it from there, eventually hopefully getting six or seven days a week of some kind of workout, whether it be running of weight training.
Today it was running, and that’s a funny story…
I have a treadmill in my house, and when I got home before my dad today, I decided to get a quick twenty minute run in (1.5 miles, natch!) before he had to use the room the treadmill was in, as that room also housed two computers, as well as a TV and a rocking chair that my dad relaxed in after work.
So I’m running, for about four minutes, when I feel I might be getting a good rhythm going, so I close my eyes to see if I can keep it up (and to rest my eyes, as I was fairly tired). The moment I do I can feel my strides going all over the place. I pop my eyes open again, but after a quick moment of contemplation, I decide I won’t give up without a fight and try it again. This is because I am brilliant. With my eyes closed…I lose all control of what I’m doing, as if I was running down a wooded path in the dark. My right foot goes right over the back of the treadmill, and the toe of my shoe (and my toe within it) get caught underneath the treadmill belt. I grab the automatic cutoff switch, and go to pull my foot out, but I can’t. As I consider this, I try and figure out how exactly my foot has room to be caught like that anyway. I look down, and sure enough, I’ve kicked my heel right through the wall. My foot was caught like a trap between the treadmill and a stud behind the wall.
Let me repeat that, as I feel it bears repeating. I got my right foot caught not only under the belt of a treadmill, but put it through a wall as well.

I’m sure if I thought about it, it’d seem a metaphor for something. But right now, I’m too tired to see it as anything but funny. Good news/addendum: I didn’t let that stop me, and after disengaging myself from the wall and cleaning off my shoe as to not track drywall everywhere, I got back on and ran 20 minutes.

*******

So there that is. The wall isn't fixed yet but there is a three day weekend coming up. I suppose I'll do it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment